Sunday, August 29, 2010

New York State Fair & Guinea Pig Breeding

Today was the show for cavies and rabbits (I think) at the New York State Fair. A friend and I went with our significant others to see all the piggies, because we love guinea pigs. The show was a bit less than we thought it would be. The guinea pigs were all caged and they were pretty small, and then they were brought one by one to the show guy, who graded them. I guess I was thinking it would be like a dog show. So, we got to pet a few and walk around seeing all of them.

It really surprised me, all the guinea pigs there, they seemed to be about the same ages, up to 6 months old I would guess. There were two cages (normal size) of guinea pig moms and their babies, who were so cute and very young, but I didn't see the owners anywhere.

While the set up was ok, they didn't have much room and they were suppose to be there through the whole fair. That way people will have something to look at, how I would love to smack the guy who came up with that. Anyhow, we asked about buying one, because I was interested in getting one out of the breeding cycle, but I didn't see any that looked like parents. The signs were posted after the show telling us who was for sale. I would say it was about half of them. We asked someone and she said a lady there starts breeding in the spring time to bring them all to the fair show. She had about 80+ there.

I haven't completely gotten to the point where I hate breeding yet, but I'm sure it will come. Those piggies looked so lonely, and I didn't see hay in their cages. There was lettuce (dark green) and carrots though, and each had their own water bottle. I wouldn't say there was anything really wrong with it, just that I wouldn't want my piggies to be there.

So what do you think about the breeding and the shows? What's the point? What do they get out of it? At selling them at $25 a piece and there being about 100 of them, how is that really worth the time invested?

That all said we did pay for one, and can't get it till the end of the fair, I'm hoping when I go back they will have the older ones that can be rescued from breeding.

One last thing, I really disliked their ears being tagged, what is that all about?

3 comments:

  1. The tagging probably has something to do with their health clearance. We have a friend who does 4H with various animals, and there's as much work getting the animals' health papers in order as there is getting them to the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ear tag is "required" by the ACBA for showing guinea pigs. Are they really asking $25 for them now?? Last year most were only $10. And you don't look for a mom...look for female babies, because the younger they are, the more likely they will be bred. I wanted to get two but I just don't have the room..maybe next year. Beautiful texels/Peruvians there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen, I wasn't sure. We paid for a boar. I think when we go back they might lower the prices, you know to clean house.. I don't like the show part of it all, they just sit in those tiny little cages with nothing to do for 10 days, they can't even hide. Poor babies.

    ReplyDelete