Thursday, August 4, 2011

Goodbye Aayla

The other night I went to check on our girls and found our senior piggie was not doing well. Lately she seemed to be losing weight a little bit, but was eating well and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with her. I figured it was old age.

So I went to pick her up and she was shaking a little, and ran away. I got her and immediately realized she was on her way out. She had lost a lot of weight in just a couple of days and wouldn't even try her favorite lettuce. I sat there holding her, and loving her, and praying that god would take her quickly. Within an hour she was gone, it was like she waited for us in order to slip away.

Just to clear things up I didn't really think anything was wrong before, she was losing a little hair and such but she wasn't acting any differently. And when I found her it was 11pm, I figured if she did make it to the morning we would take her to have her put to sleep.

She didn't seem to be in any pain, wasn't shaking, just breathing very shallowly. We got her about a year ago, she came in a tiny cage with cedar bedding, awful nails and dandruff, they said she was a boy named Gus, and she was 5 at the time. She was the best piggie and I balled all day yesterday while working because I miss her.

Her name was Aayla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Special Notice:

Guinea Pigs are very social animals. If you are considering adopting one, please consider having more than one for improved health and personality.