Tuesday, March 8, 2011

We Lost A Piggie Of Our Own

About a week ago we noticed our guinea pig Logray got into a fight with another guinea pig.

It was weird because they had been getting along so well. We called the vet and she gave us some antibiotics to help with any infection.

I watched him everyday and force fed him foods and water, but it wasn't enough.

On Saturday morning I called the Emergency vet in Westmoreland and took him in. They are open 24/7 and they were awesome.

Unfortunately when we got there, right after being weighed he started to shut down. The vet didn't think they could do anything to help so we quickly had him euthanized. I had done everything I could do, and I wish I had brought him back to the vet sooner, though I'm not sure they could have done much. She said he probably got backed up inside from something and just all went downhill from there.

It was horrible to watch him shutting down. He was having seizures and twitching. He was only born in July, and he didn't die of anything like impaction or anything like that. She said he probably didn't feel good and stopped eating as much, then got bound up from it, and that was all.

Either way we are going to miss him, he was such a sweet, tough guy, and just absolutely gorgeous. I've been avoiding posting because I didn't want to write about it.

As for the vet it was an Emergency vet, and the fee was reasonable at only $94 for the exam (they waived it for us), euthanization was $35 I believe. Give them a call if you ever have to get in on the weekend or night, our own vet charges $225 just to come in for emergencies, so it's a deal.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry - that's a terrible thing to go through, and it can happen so fast. I know you did your best for him, and he had a wonderful, loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor baby! I know you did your best for him...these things happen and I know he had a great life while he was here.

    ReplyDelete

Special Notice:

Guinea Pigs are very social animals. If you are considering adopting one, please consider having more than one for improved health and personality.